Now offering enrollment to the Intro to Artist Series as a four-part acrylic painting class for people wanting to learn about color theory, composition, symbolism, and style. Unique lectures, painting lessons, and assignments will accompany each subject for an in depth experience. These classes will be great for beginners or hobby painters looking to gain technical skills.
Classes will be taught by Sky Rockenbach, a painter and graphic designer for more than 15 years, whose attention to detail brings her pieces to life.
Classes will be held at Vivaluxx School of Makeup Art in Downtown Bellingham, WA.
The future prospects of this series are to add more classes throughout the year. These may include but are not limited to: a mixture of figure drawing, advanced techniques for acrylic and oil painting classes. These will be offered if there is enough demand, so please contact Sky if these courses are of interest to you. We hope that people will enjoy our relaxed atmosphere with one-on-one instruction.
August ‘Intro to Artist Series’
Will take place on Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on the following dates.
- August 6th: Color Theory – Learn about the history of color, the science behind how it works, and gain an understanding for controlling your pallet.
- August 13th: Composition – Discover balance, flow, perspective, and depth as you learn about the hidden geometry that makes for a eye catching image.
- August 20th: Symbolism – Review the language of philosophical ideas embedded in imagery from cultures around the world by gaining basic knowledge of symbolism and how to use it.
- August 27th: Style – The timeline from the renaissance to modernism have spanned across many styles. We will discuss the ultimate artist question, where do we fit in or how do we go beyond?
What to expect
Each class is 6 hours, with an hour break for lunch which makes the class a total or 7 hours. In the first 3 hours there will be some initial canvas prep before the first lecture begins. Then some practice painting on matboard to ease into learning painting techniques from the teacher while also receiving one on one help. After the lunch break and for the final 3 hours the class can move toward working on their final canvas for that day’s assigned lesson. There will be some discussion while people work as well as continued one on one help to anyone who needs it. Near the end of class there will be some small assignments given that are not required to complete given as encouragement to solidify some of the lessons learned that day due the following week. Based on class consensus, critiques can be given either during or after class.
For the month long session, class cost will be $230 to attend.
For materials, it will be an extra $90 and will get you the following items:
- Special stay-wet acrylic painting pallet used to keep paints from drying out.
- (x4) 16×20 canvases and (x8) matboards.
- Acrylic paint – Set for necessary colors.
- Special primer for canvases and matboard.
- Paint brushes.
Bringing your own materials is always welcome, but buying materials through the class is a good way to keep costs lower. If bringing your own materials, make sure that you find the checklist and obtain the right tools for this series so you don’t miss out on any experience of the class!
How to Apply
There will be room for 8 students, with a 4 student minimum for classes to take place. To reserve your spot in the class a $50 deposit will be required through Paypal or in person. Once the class is confirmed (at least 4 people are attending) then the final amount will be due at least two weeks before class starts.
The available classes are as follows
- August (6th, 13th, 20th, 27th) AVAILABLITY!
- September (3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th)AVAILABLITY!
- October (1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd) AVAILABLITY!
- November (5th, 12th, 19th, 26th) AVAILABLITY!
- December – No Classes
Please email Sky at firstname.lastname@example.org to start the application process. Please include which month you would like to attend and the payment process can be discussed.